Marktech’s Next Gen Hermetic SMD ATLAS Packaged InGaAs Detectors
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Marktech Introduces New Line of 1.7µm & 2.6µm Extended InGaAs Detectors in Their Latest Hermetic Metal SMD (ATLAS) Packaging
March 20, 2023, Latham, NY, USA – Marktech Optoelectronics, a leading innovator in the photonics industry, is proud to announce the launch of its latest hermetic SMD packaged 1.7 and 2.6 micron InGaAs PIN photodiodes (PDs). These new detectors feature higher responsivity than most other InGaAs detectors on the market. The groundbreaking ATLAS brand package is designed to deliver exceptional performance and reliability for various applications, including spacecraft, aerospace, medical, defense, wearables, industrial factories, and more. In addition, this refinement of their ATLAS hermetic package has improved seal performance and reliability. A few orbiting satellites even contain space-qualified versions of the ATLAS package.
This new line of extended InGaAs PDs is specifically designed for harsh environments, providing unparalleled protection against water vapor, oxygen, and other gaseous contaminants that can negatively impact photodiode detector performance. In addition, the hermetic surface mount device (SMD) packaging ensures that these PDs maintain optimal functionality, even in the most demanding conditions.
The 1.7µm and 2.6µm extended InGaAs detectors from Marktech offer enhanced sensitivity and excellent linearity, making them perfect for spectroscopy, gas sensing, moisture analysis, pyrometerers, and optical communication. In addition, the devices boast a high quantum efficiency and low dark current, ensuring optimal performance even in low-light conditions. 1.7µm cutoff InGaAs detectors can sense visible, near-infrared (NIR), and short-wave infrared (SWIR) light or wavelengths from 600nm to 1700nm. 2.6µm cutoff InGaAs detectors can sense NIR to extended SWIR light or wavelengths from 800nm to 2600nm. The ability to detect light in the SWIR wavelengths has opened up new applications in medical diagnostics, food sorting, and chemical analysis. SWIR wavelength also penetrates deeper into human tissue, which is helpful in medical diagnostics and wearables applications. The small footprint and shallow profile of Marktech’s ATLAS packaged InGaAs photodiode makes them compelling for wearable and point-of-care medical devices.
Marktech’s latest ATLAS Packaged InGaAs Photodiodes are available in 0.3mm, 1.0mm, and 1.5mm active areas. Larger active area photodiodes provide higher gain, while smaller active area detectors increase response speed. In addition, Marktech can manufacture custom active area size for projects with sufficient volume.
Benefits of ATLAS Packaged InGaAs Detector
The ATLAS SMD package offers several advantages over traditional TO-can packaging, such as TO-39 and TO-18. While both are hermetic packages, the ATLAS is a surface mount device that allows pads to be soldered directly to a printed circuit board (PCB). TO-cans are through-hole mounted, which holes on the PCB to soldered connections. Surface mount technology is superior for high-volume production board assembly, offering several benefits compared to through-hole technology.
Key advantages of the ATLAS SMD packaged 1.7µm & 2.6µm InGaAs PIN photodiodes include:
- Compact Footprint (CFP) and Extremely Low Profile (ELP): These features make the ATLAS SMD package ideal for wearable and aerospace design projects, where photonics engineers are tasked with optoelectronics miniaturization and weight reduction, or improved size, weight, and power (SWaP).
- High Responsivity: With a greater responsivity than most other InGaAs PDs on the market, Marktech’s new detectors deliver improved performance for mission-critical applications.
- Versatility & Integrity: Marktech’s InGaAs photodiodes are suitable for various applications, including spacecraft, aerospace, medical, defense, wearables, and industrial settings, where harsh conditions demand high-integrity component performance. Marktech’s detectors are single-element, quadrant, and multi-segment arrays. They can also be packaged with Marktech’s silicon photodiodes for broad detection from extended SWIR to UV wavelengths.
- Obscured Environment Sensing: When paired with the proper Marktech SWIR LED emitter, Marktech’s InGaAs detectors can sense through smoke, dust, water vapor (fog, steam, etc.), rain, and even select plastics. This ability to “see” or detect through dusty, concealed, or wet environments can be advantageous when developing advanced SWIR-based position, proximity, and other photoelectric sensors for mining, automotive, military, marine, paper & pulp, process plant, and security applications.
- Increased Assembly Productivity – The surface mount device (SMD) form factor improves assembly throughput compared to through-hole technology, which can lower the overall cost of a product in high-volume applications. In addition, the smaller footprint can ease the PCB board design process.
“With unexcelled performance and compactness, our ATLAS packaged 1.7 and 2.6 micron InGaAs PIN photodiodes represent a significant breakthrough in the photonics industry,” said Vince Forte, Chief Technology Officer of Marktech Optoelectronics. “Our focus on delivering high-quality, reliable components for mission-critical applications ensures that our customers can trust in the performance and durability of our products, even in the most challenging environments.”
Marktech’s commitment to innovation and quality has made it a trusted partner for customers across various industries. The new, expanding line of ATLAS packaged extended InGaAs detectors is another example of the company’s dedication to providing advanced solutions for today’s most demanding applications. In addition, Marktech manufactures a wide range of silicon photodiode detectors in their Simi Valley, CA factory. The combination of excellence in InGaAs and silicon photodiode technology allows Marktech to meet detection needs from UV to extended SWIR. Marktech can also design and fabricate custom InGaAs and silicon photodiodes, including custom complex, multi-segment arrays.
For more information on the ATLAS packaged 1.7µm & 2.6µm InGaAs PIN photodiodes, silicon photodiode, or other Marktech Optoelectronics detector products, please visit Marktech Detectors or email us at [email protected]. If you have an active project requiring advanced photodetection, submit an RFI or RFQ here – Contact Us.
About Marktech Optoelectronics: Marktech Optoelectronics is a leading provider of high-quality optoelectronic components, assemblies, and custom solutions for a diverse array of industries, including aerospace, medical, defense, and industrial. With a strong focus on innovation and customer satisfaction, Marktech is dedicated to delivering reliable, cutting-edge products designed to meet the unique needs of its customers. For more information, visit www.marktechopto.com.
Media Contact: Gary Kardys, Business Development Manager, [email protected]